For Immediate Release August 1, 2018 Contact: Gary Wockner, Save The Poudre, 970-218-8310 Fort Collins, CO: Tonight, the Larimer County Commisioners "TABLED" the Thornton Pipeline application until December 2018. After multiple meetings and public process and testimony, the Commissioners voted unanimously to TABLE Thornton's 1041 permit to run a massive pipeline across northern Larimer County carrying Poudre River water. All three Commissioners said that Thornton did not consider alternatives, especially the 'Poudre River Option'. The Commissioners want more public outreach and information. "Thornton now has a tremendous opportunity to work with, not against, the people of Larimer County and do the right thing for the Poudre River by choosing the 'Poudre River Option'", said Gary Wockner of Save The Poudre. "We'd be delighted to work with the City of Thornton -- as we have told them for 10 years now -- to see them run their water down the Poudre River thereby providing great benefits to the river and the people of Larimer County while still ensuring Thornton's future water supply." **end** -- Gary Wockner, PhD, Director Save The Poudre: Poudre Waterkeeper Author: "River Warrior: Fighting to Protect the World's Rivers" (2016) PO Box 20, Fort Collins, CO 80522 http://savethepoudre.org http://www.facebook.com/SaveThePoudre https://twitter.com/savethepoudre 970-218-8310
Hi Poudre River Lovers!
We have good news. Our wonderful partners at Patagonia, the outdoor gear/apparel company, will match your donation to Save The Poudre, up to $10,000, starting today through the end of 2019.
The donation link is here:
Patagonia will securely process your donation and then transfer the money to Save The Poudre.
We are especially excited to partner with Patagonia in this matching grant campaign because they are one of the leading voices on the planet for fighting dams and protecting rivers. Patagonia is also one of our leading funders!
What did Save The Poudre accomplish in 2019?
- Helped stop the Thornton Pipeline dead in its tracks!
- Intervened in state district court against the City of Thornton to defend the Larimer County Commissioners against Thornton’s lawsuit.
- Saw through the construction of the amazing Poudre River Whitewater Park, a project that we initiated back in 2010!
- Filed a lawsuit in federal district court in Colorado to stop the proposed Windy Gap Water Project in Colorado.
- Intervened with the Larimer County permitting process against the Northern Integrated Supply Project (“NISP”), the massive proposed dam project we’ve been fighting for 17 years.
- Intervened with the State of Colorado permitting project against NISP.
- Filed more comments with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers against NISP.
- Kept the Poudre River’s voice alive to the public, in the media, and throughout the northern Colorado region.
- And more!
When you donate to Save The Poudre, we get right to work! Patagonia Action Works is a wonderful partner putting your money into action.
Please donate here through Patagonia Action Works and help us protect this amazing river!
The donation link is here:
Thank you for your support!
Gary Wockner, Director, Save The Poudre.